Project planning and funding application: Data management plans and expert advice
In order to ensure a sustainable and re-usable archiving of your data you should develop a data management plan at an early stage of your research. For the development of a data management plan for your project we do offer you:
Technical advice:data acquisition, data storage (during and after your project), file formats, relevant metadata, metadata schemes and vocabularies, conversion,…
Organizational adviceReviewing of your data management plan, support with grant applications, policies and requirements of different funding organizations, questions on the publication of data, potentially relevant services at Heidelberg University or other institutions,…
Information on legal issues:Suitable licenses (Creative Commons,…), copyright,…
For the creation of data management plans we recommend using either RDMO or DMPonline. This software allows a stepwise construction of data management plans specifically tailored for your project and the requirements of various research founders. Using RDMO and DMPonline is free of charge. Created plans can be exported in various file formats, e.g. for integrating them in project proposals.
During your project: Data management
The Computing Centre offers a variety of software tools and services to support you with data processing and data management:
- The University Computing Centre provides access to various computing clusters in Heidelberg and Baden-Württemberg for employees and students of the Heidelberg University. Furthermore, there are various offers to get information about the usage of computing clusters and to get assistance in case of problems or to optimize computing performance.
End of your project: Sharing, publication and cataloguing of data
The Competence Centre offers with heiDATA and heidICON two solutions for archiving, data sharing, and if you wish the open access publication of your data.
- Persistent and citable addressing of data via DOI’s
- Individual authorization and license models for data access
- Linking between research data and related publications
- Archiving of various file formats
- Flexible and configurable metadata schema with controlled vocabularies
- Provision of metadata for external catalogues and databases
- Based on the Open Source Software DataVerse (Harvard, http://thedata.org)
- Indexing of all data sets and respective data citations in the Data Citation Index (part of Clarivate Analytics' Web of Science) and Google Dataset Search as well as in further national and international databases
If you are interested in using heiDATA, please see our author instructions.
- heiBIB, the main index of publications Heidelberg University.